A GUIDE TO YOUR OBLIGATIONS UNDER HEALTH AND SAFETY LAW
REFERENCE MAINTENANCE OF INDUSTRIAL, COMMERCIAL DOORS AND ROLLER SHUTTER DOORS.
The following pieces of legislation are particularly relevant when considering your legal responsibilities with regard to proper regular planned maintenance of industrial, commercial doors and roller shutter doors.
These regulations are binding on the employer or occupier of a building or premises who have a duty to safeguard the health and safety of employees and other persons on or about the premises.
Regulation 5 of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992
Extract: The equipment devices and systems to which this regulation applies shall be subject to a suitable schedule of maintenance.
This applies to all types of roller shutter doors whether manual or electrical operation.
Regulation 5 of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER)
Extract A: Every employer should ensure that work equipment is maintained in an efficient state and in efficient working order and in good repair.
Extract B: Every employer should ensure that where any machinery has a maintenance log, the log is kept up to date.
This applies to all power operated doors.
Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005
Extract: Where necessary in order to safeguard the safety of relevant persons the responsible person must ensure that the premises and any facilities, equipment and devices provided are subject to a suitable system of maintenance and are maintained in an efficient state and in efficient working order and in good repair.
This applies to any door provided as a fire exit, along an escape route or which provides fire containment or compartmentation.
In order to satisfy the above regulations it is important that you can demonstrate:
- That regular maintenance is carried out at suitable intervals
- That potentially dangerous defects are remedied in a timely fashion
- That records are kept to document the above
One method of documentation to demonstrate the above would be a log book.
Requirements for the use of a log book are mentioned above in extract B from PUWER and are further covered by BSEN Standards relating to Construction Products and the Machinery Directives,
Industrial, Commercial and Garage Doors and Gates Installation and Use
This is one of a series of supporting standards to BSEN 13241-1:2003
the Product Standard for Industrial, Commercial, Roller and Garage Doors and Gates.
It provides guidance on documentation, installation, labelling, handover, operation, use, maintenance and repair of doors, including the requirements for a log book for power operated doors, which are summarised below.
Requirements for a Log Book
requires that the log book shall contain the following:
- Name and contact details of the manufacturer
- Unique identification number
- Door location reference (if known)
- Name and contact details of the installer
- Date of completion of installation
- The results of installation verification and testing
- Identification of power unit
- Identification of safety devices
- The results
The above requirements apply particularly to new installations but are essential information for the continued maintenance and safe operation of any door, no matter how old.
The log book should also contain clear reference to the operating instructions for the door, whether included in the log book or as a reference to separate documentation.
On an ongoing basis, there should be space for the recording of:
Westwood Security Shutters Ltd
- All maintenance and repair visits
- Details of the work done
- Details of significant changes or upgrades
- Name, date and signature of responsible person in each instance
can help you share the burden we can help you to satisfy these duties and obligations by providing:
- A planned maintenance agreement for regular service and safety inspection
- A genuine 24 hour, 365 day reactive repair service
We are also now able to offer all of our clients with a current maintenance agreement access to their records.
- Make significant savings on repair and maintenance costs in the long term
- Easily identify and retrieve details of any door within your organisation
- Download operating and maintenance instructions for the door and connected equipment
- View safety, maintenance and repair history including date and cost
- Analyse the history to identify costly and potentially unsafe doors and help with budget preparations
For further assistance with the legislation and standards, or for details of our services please contact our Sales Department (Head Office) on 0161 272 9333
or email your enquiry.
Manchester Office / Factory: 0161 272 9333
London Office: 0207 873 2390
West Midlands Office: 0121 285 0239
East Midlands Office: 0115 8240036.
Westwood Roller Doors
are the perfect Security Shutters
for Shop Shutters Rapid High Speed Doors
and other commercial applications. We also supply Fire Rated Shutters
at competitive prices.